At Burley Oaks Primary School, our curriculum is based on the September 2014 National Curriculum for Key Stages 1 & 2 and the Early Years 2012 framework in Reception.
A rigorous, well planned curriculum combined with high quality teaching ensures that children are supported to be well rounded, empathetic young people who have a genuine thirst for learning. Children develop a strong sense of moral purpose in addition to a respect for and understanding of people who have different characteristics to themselves, whether that be age, disability, gender, race or sexuality.
We place a strong emphasis on the development of the basic skills necessary to be confident, articulate and independent learners within a broad, wide ranging and challenging curriculum.
Planning for the majority of subjects, except RE, is based on our ‘Learning Challenge Curriculum’ where a topic/theme approach is employed. The key drivers of this approach are that it is:
Planned around the distinctive needs of children at Burley Oaks
- Enquiry-based to promote curiosity
- Outcomes driven to raise standards
- Embeds the application of basic skills
- Allows writing to be meaningfully embedded
- Cross-curricular (where meaningful)
- Integrates empowering learning (‘learn to learn’) skills
The aims of our Learning Challenge Curriculum are for children to:
- Enjoy learning
- Feel successful in their learning and to promote high self esteem
- Become creative, independent learners
- Be given significant time to learn new skills and have time to practise those skills
- Have the flexibility to decide how best to learn in different situations
- Have the flexibility to decide what they are going to learn and how
- Be given the opportunity to decide upon the final outcome of their learning
- Be able to set own targets for learning
- Know what their strengths are and which areas they need to develop
- Become successful lifelong learners who are able to reach their full potential
- Be able to evaluate and assess their own learning
Each sub-menu links to the Learning Challenge Curriculum Long Term Overviews for each year group. From the overviews you will be able to view the Medium Term Plans for past and current challenges. These show the structure for the teaching and learning - how the subjects are covered, how English and maths links are made and how other areas distinctive to the needs of our children are met.
IT and Music are subjects with distinct levels of priority at Burley Oaks, delivered by subject specialist teachers. We have invested heavily in both time and resources to ensure that our children's experiences are of the highest quality.